BGCT actions regarding ordination or women, 1998-2000 (incomplete)
compiled by Wm. Robert Johnston
updated 2000, 2001
10 Nov 1998
* Motion for Resolution VII, Biblical Equality:
Whereas male and female alike are created in the image of God and God gave to both the responsibilities or caring for their children and being stewards over all creation; and
Whereas reconciliation with God is equally available to both men and women through faith in Jesus Christ, and the gifts and power of the Holy Spirit descended upon women and men alike at Pentecost; and
Whereas we are each one to put on the mind of Christ who emptied and humbled himself in obedience and to mutally submit to one another as a witness to the world of the transforming power of servant leadership; and
Whereas every believer is to give witness to the redemptive power of Christ, teaching, baptizing and making disciples:
Therefore Be It Resolved that we affirm the freedom and responsibility of women and men to respond to the call of Christ to serve as they are gifted by God; and
Be It Further Resolved that we affirm the priesthood of each believer in discerning God's truth as revealed in Scripture and led by the Holy Spirit; and
Be It Finally Resolved that we affirm the freedom of each local Baptist church to commission for service all persons regardless of race, socioeconomic standing, age or gender who are called of God to model servant leadership.
* Ed Seay (FBC, Magnolia) asked if the resolution was meant to affirm ordination of women as senior pastors. The Resolutions Committee stated that it was not to affirm or not affirm, but that it affirms the autonomy of each local church.
* Rusty Durand (FBC, Garrison) moved to amend paragraph 7 to read "Be It Finally Resolved that we affirm the freedom of each local Baptist church to ordain for service all persons regardless of race, sexual orientation, age or gender who are called of God to model servant leadership." Motion to amend failed.
* James Ralston (FBC, Celeste) moved to delete paragraph 7. Motion failed.
* Resolution VI passed.
30 Oct 2000
* Approved agenda for the convention, including prayers by former chaplain Jeanene Atkinson and by pastor Julie Pennington-Russell.
Last modified 29 May 2001.
Return to Home. Return to Baptist Resources.