Listing of Soviet/Russian Naval Vessels
compiled by Wm. Robert Johnston
last updated 4 December 2003
The table linked to above summarizes available data on individual military ships and submarines of the Russian and Soviet navies. Considerable information has entered the public domain since the breakup of the Soviet Union. However, there are still significant discrepancies among various sources. In addition, many Russian naval vessels have been renamed since the end of the USSR (some more than once).
The table includes:
- military vessels by class,
- renamed vessels by class,
- miscellaneous vessels by class (principally service ships).
Table columns include: name (or designation); factory number; type of ship; class of ship; date of launch; date of commissioning; method of retirement (C = converted, D = decommissioned, L = laid up, R = retired, S = sunk, T = transferred) and date of retirement.
- Antonov, A. M., Dec. 1995, "The Birth of Red November," Proceedings (U.S. Naval Institute.), pp. 79-81.
- Cochran, Thomas B., and Robert S. Norris, 1995, Making the Russian Bomb: From Stalin to Yeltsin, Westview Press (Boulder, CO).
- Lee, Robin, 8 Jan. 1997, "Index of Russian Naval Ship Names," on line, State of the Russian Navy Data Page [http://www.webcom.com/~amraam/rnav.html].
- Lee, Robin, 14 June 2003, "Index of Russian Naval Ship Names," on line, State of the Russian Navy Data Page [http://www.rjlee.org/shipind.html].
- Nilsen et ali, 2001, "The Arctic Nuclear Challenge," on line, Bellona [http://www.bellona.no/en/international/russia/navy/northern_fleet/index.html].
- Nilsen, Thomas, and Igor Kudrik, 18 April 1997, "The Russian Northern Fleet--Updated," on line, Bellona, [http://www.ngo.grida.no/ngo/ bellona/ehome/russia/nfl/index.htm].
- Nilsen, Thomas, Igor Kudrik, and Alexandr Nikitin, 12 May 1996, "The Russian Northern Fleet: Sources of Radioactive Contamination," on line, Bellona [http://www.ngo.grida.no/ngo/bellona/ehome/russia/nfl/index.htm].
- Polmar, Norman, 1991, The Naval Institute Guide to the Soviet Navy, 5th ed., U.S. Naval Institute Press (Annapolis, MD).
- Pryzelin, Bernard, ed., 1993, The Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World 1993: Their Ships, Aircraft, and Armament, U.S. Naval Institute Press (Annapolis, MD).
- Sharpe, Richard, ed., 1995, Jane's Fighting Ships 1995-96, 98th ed., Jane's Information Group (UK).
- Zaloga, Steven J., 1993, Target America: the Soviet Union and the Strategic Arms Race, 1945-1964, Presidio Press (Novato, CA).
© 1997, 2002, 2003 by Wm. Robert Johnston.
Last modified 4 December 2003.
Return to Home. Return to Nuclear Weapons.