U.S. median family income
compiled by Wm. Robert Johnston
last updated 15 February 2015
Data for 1930-1946 is estimated. Currently family income figures include unemployment compensation.
- Tax Foundation, 7 April 2014, "Tax Freedom Day 2014: Data tables," Tax Foundation, on line [http://taxfoundation.org/article/tax-freedom-day-2014-data-tables].
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Table H-6. Regions--all races by median and mean income: 1975 to 2013," Census Bureau, on line [https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/data/historical/household/2013/h06AR.xls]
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Measuring 50 years of economic change," Census Bureau, on line [http://www.census.gov/prod/3/98pubs/p60-203.pdf].
- supplementary pre-1947 income estimates: [http://www.gilderlehrman.org/history-by-era/great-depression/essays/women-and-great-depression]; Craig Calhoun, ed., "Sociology in America: A History"; Teaching History, "Tax rates of the mid-20th century," [http://teachinghistory.org/history-content/ask-a-historian/24489].
- supplementary 2014 income estimate based on Advisor Perspectives, 2015, "Median household income in the 21st century," Advisor Perspectives, on line [http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/charts/census/monthly-household-income.html?household-income-monthly-median-since-2000.gif].
© 2001-2012, 2015 by Wm. Robert Johnston.
Last modified 15 February 2015.
Return to Home. Return to Other Policy Issues.