Some reading picks
last updated 3 August 2008
Alexandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn was born in 1918 in Russia. In 1945 he was imprisoned for privately criticizing Stalin and was sentenced to internal exile in 1953. His first work was published in 1962, but by 1965 his writing had ran afoul of the Soviet leadership. He was awarded the 1970 Nobel Prize in Literature, but could not receive it until after he was deported from the USSR in 1974. He settled in the United States until 1994, when he returned to post-Soviet Russia, and he died there in 2008.
General notes: this is a partial listing of Solzhenitsyn's writings. Those novels and stories which involve the same characters and/or storylines are collected together and listed in sequence of storyline chronology. Publication date is given in parenthesis.
- One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (1962)
- We Never Make Mistakes: Two Short Novels (1963)
- "An Incident at Krechetovka Station"
- "Matryona's House"
- For the Good of the Cause (1964)
- The First Circle (1968)
- Cancer Ward (1968)
- The Love-Girl and the Innocent, play (1969)
- Candle in the Wind, play (1969)
- Stories and Prose Poems (1971)
- The Red Wheel: series including
- August 1914 (1971)
- Lenin in Zurich: Chapters (1975)
- August 1914: The Red Wheel/Knot I (1983)
- November 1916: The Red Wheel/Knot II (1983)
- March 1917 (1986)
- April 1917 (1991)
- A Lenten Letter to Pimen, Patriarch of All Russia (1972)
- Prussian Nights: A Poem, poetry (1974)
- Victory Celebrations (1983)
- Prisoners: A Tragedy (1983)
- Nobel Lecture (1972)
- The Gulag Archipelago:
- The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956, Vol. 1 (1973)
- The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956, Vol. 2 (1974)
- The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956, Vol. 3 (1975)
- "Live Not By Lies" (Feb 1974)
- Letter to the Soviet Leaders (1974)
- Solzhenitsyn: A Pictorial Autobiography (1974)
- From under the Rubble (1975)
- The Oak and the Calf: A Memoir (1975)
- Warning to the West (1976)
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn speaks to the West (1978)
- "A World Split Apart" (June 1978)
- Detente (1980)
- The Mortal Danger: How Misconceptions about Russia Imperil America (1980)
- East and West (1980)
- To Free China (1982)
- Choices for Modern Japan (1982)
- "Godlessness, the First Step to the Gulag" (May 1983)
- Rebuilding Russia: Reflections and Tentative Proposals (1991)
- The Russian Question at the End of the Twentieth Century (1995)
- Russia in Collapse (1998)
- Two Hundred Years Together (1795-1995) (2001)
© 2006 by Wm. Robert Johnston.
Last modified 3 August 2008.
Return to Home. Return to Reading picks.