Database of nuclear tests, China-PRC: introduction
compiled by Wm. Robert Johnston
last modified 4 April 2009
- ID number--sequential number in listing
- Shot name--Chinese name
- Shot code--
- S--salvo test, first listed detonation
- SS--salvo test, additional detonations
- X--not included in some listings
- Year, month, day (GMT)
- Time (GMT)
- LN--Lop Nor
- LN-A--Lop Nor, area "A"
- LN-B--Lop Nor, area "B"
- LN-C--Lop Nor, area "C"
- LN-D--Lop Nor, area "D"
- Latitude (° N) and Longitude (° E)
- Location code
- Hole designation--shaft or tunnel number
- Height of burst--negative indicates depth
- Ground zero altitude
- Ground zero code
- Type of detonation--
- A-R--rocket or missile
- AS--atmospheric, surface
- WR--nuclear weapons related
- Yield, minimum and maximum--in kt, Western figures
- Yield, estimated--in kt, reported figures from unofficial or Western sources
- Yield notes
- Yield, preferred value
- Magnitude Mb--seismic
- Crater--diameter in meters
- Vented--radioactivity release in curies
- ER--enhanced radiation
- IC--implosion, composite core
- IP--implosion, plutonium core
- IU--implosion, uranium core
- TN--thermonuclear, multistage (number indicates % fission)
- Sources--see list below
Sources for PRC test list:
© 2005, 2009 by Wm. Robert Johnston.
- 1 = Yang, Xiaoping, Robert North, and Carl Romney, Aug. 2000, "CMR Nuclear Explosion Database (Revision 3)," on line, SMDC Monitoring Research [http://www.rdss.info/database/nucex/report/explosion.pdf].
- 2 = CNS, June 1998, "China's nuclear tests: dates, yields, types, methods, and comments," Center for Nonproliferation Studies, on line [http://cns.miis.edu/research/china/coxrep/testlist.htm].
- 3 = Norris, Robert S., Andrew S. Burrows, and Richard W. Fieldhouse, 1994, Nuclear Weapons Databook, Vol. 5: British, French, and Chinese Nuclear Weapons, Westview Press (Boulder, CO).
- 4 = Gupta, Vipin, 1995, "Locating nuclear explosions at the Chinese test site near Lop Nor," Science and Global Security, 5:205-244.
- a = Won-Young Kim, Paul G. Richards, Vitaly Adushkin, and Vladimir Ovtchinnikov, April 2001, "Borovoye digital seismogram archive for underground nuclear tests during 1966-1996," LDEO, on line [http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/Monitoring/Data/Brv_arch_ex/brv_text_table.pdf].
- b = SMDC, 2004, "Nuclear explosion database," SMDC Monitoring Research Program, on line, [http://www.rdss.info/index_ie.html].
- c = Lewis, Jeffrey, 2004, "The minimum means of reprisal: China's search for security in the nuclear age," Ph. D. dissertation, on line
- d = Murphy, John, 18 Sept. 1992, "Yield estimation and bias at the Chinese Lop Nor test site," 14th Annual PL/DARPA Seismic Research Symposium.
- e = Andryushin, L. A., N. P. Voloshin, R. I. Ilkaev, A. M. Matushchenko, L. D. Ryabev, V. G. Strukov, A. K. Chernyshev, and Yu. A. Yudin, 1999, Catalog of Worldwide Nuclear Testing, RFNC-VNIIEF (Sarov, Russia), on line at Institute of Strategic Stability [http://www.iss.niiit.ru/ksenia/catal_nt/index.htm].
- f = Lewis, Jeffrey, 3 April 2009, "Subcritical testing at Lop Nor," on line at Arms Control Wonk.com [http://www.armscontrolwonk.com/2239/subcritical-testing-at-lop-nor]
- g = CIA, Nov. 1995, "Special issue on advanced conventional weapons...," Proliferation Digest, excised version on line at Arms Control Wonk.com [http://www.armscontrolwonk.com/file_download/168/Proliferation_Digest_November_1995.pdf].
- h = Gertz, Bill, and Rowan Scarborough, 7 Dec. 2001, "Chinese nuclear 'event'," The Washington Times, p. A9.
- i = Gertz, Bill, 11 May 2001, "Chinese believed preparing for a nuclear weapons test; Controlled underground explosion likely in a few days," The Washington Times, p. A5.
Last modified 4 April 2009.
Return to Home. Return to Nuclear Weapons. Return to Nuclear Tests--Databases and Other Material.